Wednesday, April 27, 2011

One Challenge Down!

So Easter has come and gone and our challenge was a success! My goal of staying pescatarian for lent was refreshingly met, and I feel good about accomplishing it. Over the past week, I have consciously tried to make a decision about my future meat eating habits. Many suggestions flooded my mind and my decision making skills have been once again tested! I have thoroughly thought through this decision and surprisingly (insert sarcasm) could not decide what  I want to do! I did however decide that life is a constant change and maybe my eating habits don't have to be a choice made in an instant.

I had delicious fried turkey on Easter that did make me feel a bit guilty, but it was so very enjoyable. I thought that eating meat would instantly swim back into my life, creating drool in the corner of my mouth at every Zaxby's. Since Easter I have given meat a chance and accepted it back into my life. I even cooked it for Chris as a celebration from the Lenten season. Surprisingly, like any thing that is sacrificed for a while, I became numb to the taste of meat, and so far have not craved for it and even have picked it out of my foods. I thought of it as giving up soda for a while and trying to come back to it. It just didn't taste the same.

Anyway, meat still has a chance in my life, but as for now it is undecided as to how I will enjoy it in my diet. It makes me sad at the thought that I may never enjoy a pig in a blanket again, but I have a feeling things will change. I'll keep you posted.

Ok, now for the kind of better, less or possibly more boring stuff....I feel better, I feel leaner, and I feel as if my decision making with food has become more sophisticated. More vegetables have entered my diet, and I am proud to say that I am trying to make better decisions when eating out.  That doesn't keep me from eating the nachos I had about an hour ago, but these are big strides for me. My skin seems to be cleaner, and I feel more in tune with the changes food makes on my body. I know I sound like a freak that just had a meat epiphany, but when it comes down to it I am just stating the facts. Maybe, the idea, the fact that I am controlling my body and it's decisions with a goal, is what creates this better feeling. Who knows?!

In the meantime, until I figure that life lesson out, I know that the most important thing about this goal, is that it has been accomplished. Coming from a neurotic 25 year old with a bad case of ADD, I think that maybe that is an accomplishment that I can be proud of. One challenge down, a lifetime of challenges to go! My next one is a fun one and I can't wait to share!   

No comments:

Post a Comment