Saturday, April 9, 2011

Everything is Progress

Progress is the event in which we make strides towards a goal. In Italy, goals seem to be made in a longer, slowed, more enjoyable stride. In America, our stride cannot be fast enough. In either form, progress is growth, and it is ultimately what we all strive for. Our progress is positive and it deserves credit for being so.
My progress, is also positive. If you have read any of my previous posts, you may know that for over a month, Me, God, Chris, and two of our sisters have made the decision to be either pescatarian, or vegetarian. With help from our many vegetarian friends, we have made the transition pretty smoothly, and our progress has definitely been positive. My will was tested yesterday while shopping at the grocery store. A man behind me so rudely chose to buy the best smelling fried chicken on this side of Georgia. In any normal situation, I wouldn't even have the urge for that chicken, but with two weeks left I think we are all feeling a longing for what we can't have. To say the least, we would like to supplement our diet with some more protein.

During these challenges, I want to update my progress with positive examples from my journey. So far, I feel like Chris and I have definitely branched out with our dinner choices, and there aren't many times that we come up with a bad meal. Since we chose to supplement our diet with fish, it has been fairly easy to eat out, and the meals we have eaten definitely are worth our time. If you know me, I don't branch out in the category of vegetables, but I am proud to say that my eating choices have gotten greener! Beans however, the enemy to all vegetables, have slowly entered my diet, but seem to refuse to stay. 

With two weeks left, I have found myself worrying that I won't have enough time to use our cookbooks and magazine ideas that our friends have lent to us. I feel leaner, and I feel as if I make better choices when I chose what to eat. DISCLAIMER: No, I have not lost much weight, and no I don't always make the best choices as a "vegetarian," and yes, I do turn to pasta quite a bit. I never said I was perfect, and I think the M&M's hidden in my purse will so undoubtedly prove that. However, this challenge is to make us aware of sacrifice, and for me it will prove if I can complete a goal with a positive outcome. This challenge may not change my body completely, but it is a start. It has definitely changed my way of thinking, and to me that's progress.

1 comment: